November 11, 2009

Beaches

My holiday would not be a good one if I spent all my time in Pattaya. But it would not be a true one without at least some days in the sin city. Why ? Boys, of course, but also the sun and the beaches – I explained some months ago why I need a lot of sun-bathing - mostly for my health.

I was lucky this year as the weather changed around October 25th, while it had waited for November 10 something last year. Jomtien is not the proper place to get a good tan … the roof pool in my South Pattaya hotel was more efficient and Jomtien beach had to be left for relaxing and admiring the beauty of nature …

However I had a one-day trip to Kor Larn with Tam and another boy – the beach seller I met last year, who had never been there before. This time we hired a speedboat, hoping to escape the crowds … only to find ourselves on another beach with groups taking turns to land and to embark. By chance the afternoon was more quiet, but I guess I'll have to study carefully the map next time in order to go to one of the smaller beaches – if there is one left.

Haat Mae Ramphung east of Rayong
Haat Mae Ramphung east of Rayong
Another trip was made to Rayong with Tam and Phi Kho ; I had wanted to discover the beaches beyond Rayong since a long time and I was not disappointed. No need to go to the overcrowded and overpriced Koh Samet : on the mainland you will find miles of almost desert beaches (at least during weekdays), with clean and warm water and some delicious and cheap seafood restaurants – just check that that have fresh food … I surprised myself thinking that this was the kind of place I could well choose for a quiet retirement … but it would probably be too boring to stay there, as it is a long 100 km drive to Pattaya.

We also passed in the small fishing village of Samaesan which is the last one in Chonburi province before reaching Rayong. Besides a museum and a pagoda offering great views over the sea, Samaesan has no beach of its own and – to tell the truth – stinks of a strong fish odor. However I was said that some islands could be reached by hiring a boat and it would be possible to sunbathe and swim in the buff (information to be confirmed as I thought that these islands belonged to the Royal Navy). Also I could not help spotting some beautiful men in the streets of Samaesan : Burmese and Cambodian hired by fishing boats calling at the harbour.

Fishboat and fishermen near Samaesan
Fishboat and fishermen near Samaesan
Samaesan is about 40 km from Pattaya through Sattahip and could be reached on public transport using Rayong-bound bus until the Samaesan junction, and then on a motorbike taxi. Of course better to have one's own wheels – especially if you should be lucky with the young fishermen …

No comments: