October 27, 2018

Gay Chiang Mai revisited

Every trip I make to Thailand involves some days out of the infernal Bangkok / Pattaya pair. I have to say that these excursions often produce the best memories from my holidays in Thailand as each of them are obviously different. This time I wanted to go again to the north as it has been a long time since I went there on my own. Only five days were allowed for this short journey with one in the Lamphun province which I had only visited during a short getaway from Chiang Mai.

As I had enough time to do my housework, going to Lamphun was not a hassle : flight to Chiang Mai, short taxi ride to the local bus station in Chang Phuak, and a quiet short transfer to Lamphun. I had reserved a room in a homestay which offered the most convenient location to downtown Lamphun : no chance then to bring someone back to my room. Not that it mattered as the town is quite small and quiet and the aim was mostly to visit the temple and feel the atmosphere

After a quiet night, back to Chiang Mai and Chiang Phuak where I had reserved two nights in my favorite Mercure Hotel. With very smooth prices and flawless service, this accomodation deserves more attention from those looking to be near the Chang Phuak bars and massage shops, and is an obviously much nicer place than the grim Lotus Hotel that I saw from outside. The only gay venue I went in the area was Adam’s Apple where the show had a full room attendance. Good and imaginative show with a lot of flesh, but finally not really my thing as I prefer personal contact and interaction. On my second day I wanted to go to New My Way which is still open, but confess that I was too exhausted (read : intoxicated) by my former visit to the Night Bazaar bars.

Welcoming Pandee Bar in Night Bazaar
So most of my time was spent in the soi 6 beer bars ; eight are listed on the gayinchiangmai website, but three of them were closed or devoid of any gay life, so that leave us with five, all of them within walking distance. Going rather early in the evening, I did not like Ram Bar which has a cabaret show later in the evening but charges the same prices even when there is still no boy and nothing special. Neighboring Secrets Bar had only one waiter on duty so I did not venture … perhaps boys come later ? Next door to the easy-going and tasty food court is the very welcoming Pandee Bar which offers a good atmosphere.

I spent some quality time with the boys in the small Chiang Mai 19 Bar, at the far end of the Night Bazaar building which is now almost deserted. This is a small bar with only three or four boys with a nice attitude and taking really care of the customers.

And finally there is of course the famous Orion Bar which stands proudly in the middle of the soi. Full of handsome guys lured by the pool table and by the lively atmosphere, and also full of local expats who seem to regard the place as their own playground … I sat in what was probably the best spot in the bar and almost could hear the sigh of relief when I finally had to leave …. The nice boys come and go during the whole evening so you have to pay close attention to what is going on if you want to take someone with you. Anyway a great place to relax watching the world – and the boys – go by.

Going to the Night Bazaar area at night from Chang Phuak was not really an issue as the hotel offers a free shuttle to and back from there. I finally spent more time in Night Bazaar than in Chang Phuak, and will probably consider staying in Chiang Mai center next time I go there, although I usually do not like to stay in touristy areas. Provided of course the bar situation doesn’t change too much by then.

No comments: