November 15, 2019

The storm before the calm

What to do on a last night after a great massage in Home Spa ? I chose to go once again to Silom area, if only for immersing myself in the vibrant atmosphere ... so different from living in a small village !

After another meal in Foodlands (no atmosphere but good and cheap food), I suddenly thought of going to Silom soi 4, a place that I did not really take the time to visit before except for a casual beer in Telephone or Balcony. I obviously had forgotten to do my homework before my trip, as I rediscovered a lively street with a lot of interesting venues ; truth to be said, I had always regarded this soi as a place for gay couples or nosey tourists and had not fully realised that a lot more could now be found there after Soi Twilight closure.

Silom soi 4 gay bars
Silom Soi 4
Lured by a persuasive waiter, I parked myself in Welcome Bar, next door to Telephone Bar but much quieter due to its location further into the soi ; I invited the (cambodian) waiter for a drink and was told that the boys here could be taken off. Going back to BTS station, I thought that soi 4 could usefully replace soi Twilight as place to begin an evening, with all the restaurants and open-air bars which dot the alley, not forgetting the Nakhara massage shop where the boys are steadily good-looking.

Last minute shopping, web checking-in for my flight (which saves a lot of time at the airport, wonder why so few people use it), withdrawing money in order to have at least 10,000 bahts for my next trip ... this is now the last day routine which I am used to. At 21,30 it was time to leave my beloved hotel and going back home ; the long flight should act like a decompression chamber before coming back to everyday life.

3 comments:

ChristianPFC said...

I walk through Silom Soi 4 every time I'm in the area (which is once per month), but rarely (once per year) sit down and order a drink for multiple reasons: loud music, smoking; no or few cute boys, and if there are any, they are usually taken.

Cute boys at Nakarat every time I pass there, but I asked one where he comes from: Vietnam (I have negative experiences with Vietnamese boys) and a friend who is fluent in Thai once inquired (in Thai) about prices and was quoted 2000 THB for happy ending.

Withdrawing money at an ATM? At those outrageous fees? I bring cash and go to exchange booths.

ilz said...

2000 THB at Nakarat is too expensive ; thai for thai places are much cheaper (I read a 800 THB fee for hard sex on a thai webboard, but I usually give more).

As for withdrawing money, don't worry : I have a thai bank account and the fee is 0,00 THB in a Bangkok branch (as I opened the account in Bangkok) and 15 THB in other provinces ; I just have to find a Kasikorn branch which is more than easy everywhere in Thailand.

Anonymous said...

These days, there are hardly any cute boys to be seen in Soi 4.
They are sadly outnumbered by lady boys from show bars.

The music volume is also too high.

So I can no longer think of any good reason to stop here.

What Bangkok needs is a a few twink gogo bars.
Or even a Jomtien style host bar street, where at least at the host bars, there are plenty of cute boys. (Sadly the show bars concentrate on lady boys)