August 13, 2007

Euro 2008

The final tournament of the Soccer Euro 2008 Championship will take place in Switzerland and Austria in June 2008 ; the exact dates being from June 7 th (opening matches in Basle and Geneva) to June 29 th (grand final in Vienna).

My country (France) is now leading its qualifying group ahead of Scotland and Italy but of course nothing is decided yet and we will have to wait for the decisive matches especially Italy v. France on September 8th. If France qualifies, it will be very easy for me to go and see them, as I live very close to the Swiss border.

Shall I go ? Well I think that during this period, I'd rather go to ... Thailand. Why ? Of course, if my country does well, it's always nice to gain face from the boys, the taxi drivers or the hotel attendants who always regard you as a demigod if you happen to come from the same country as the World Cup or the Euro winners ...

But the main reason for scheduling to be in Thailand at this time is that thai boys are inveterate gamblers especially when it comes to football ... They gamble with borrowed money, they loose it and how can they repay their debts ? Stealing is one way, and selling themselves is another one. So I guess that the amount of freelancers should reach summits next June in the vicinity of Saranrom, Rama IV or Beach Road ...

Will you call me a vulture waiting for fresh meat ? I would rather think being a benefactor anxious to act for the common good of the boys ...

No comments: